John Callaghan was born in Kilsyth on the 18th November 1938. He was educated
at St Mary's College Blairs the junior Seminary in Aberdeen
and at The Royal Scots College at Valladolid, Spain. He was
ordained on the 29th April 1962 in Valladolid by His Lordship
Bishop James Black of Paisley for the Archdiocese of St Andrews
His first posting was to St Patrick's Edinburgh where he served
between 1962 and 1967. He was then transferred for 2 years between
1967 and 1969 to St Margaret of Scotland, Raploch in Stirling.
After a period of 2 years where Fr Callaghan was c/o the Diocesan
Office, he went on missionary work abroad to Bauchi in Northern
Nigeria which has long been associated with the Archdiocese
of St Andrew's & Edinburgh. On his return to Scotland Fr
Callaghan went to Our Lady and St Ninian's Bannockburn from
1975 to 1979.
In 1979 Fr Callaghan was transfered to Our Lady & St Andrew's
in Galashields in the Scottish borders and then to St Margaret's
at South Queensferry from 1981 to 1987.
The final Parish for which we have a record of Fr Callaghan
is back to Bannockburn in 1987. Fr Callaghan now lives in retirement