Sr. Mary Ann McCart was a native of Kilsyth and was
a member of the Order of the Helpers of the Holy Souls.
She served out all of her vocation in the United States
of America after she emigrated following her brother
Michael John McCart from Kilsyth to the USA in the 1920's.
Born Ann McCart on the 18th June 1904 in Kilsyth she
was one of 10 children of William McCart and Annie m.s.Glancy
who lived in the Brick Rows now Kingston Road. Her siblings
were Patrick, William, Michael, Elizabeth, Jane, Harry,
Charlotte, James and George. Notably Sister McCart's
elder brother Patrick
McCart was killed in action at Bazra, Iraq during
World War 1
whilst serving with the 1st Battalion of the Highland
She was educated at St Patrick's School Kilsyth and
then at Charlotte Street School for Girls in Glasgow.
After emigration to the USA she entered the Order of
the Helpers of the Holy Souls at Choppaqua, Westchester
New York on the 5th of December 1928 as a Novice. She
recieved the Habit on the 16th June 1929. Sister McCart
took her first vows on the 8th September 1931 and her
final profession was made on 19th August 1937. She celebrated
her Platinum Jubilee in 1999.
During her vocation she was stationed with the Helpers
of the Holy Souls in Los Angeles, California for some
time but her last residence was at the Society of Helpers
at 303 West Barry Ave Chicago, Illinois a location which
has since been sold by the order. This was the outstandingly
beautiful location situated right on Lake Michigan on
the edge of Lincoln Park where Sister Mary Ann died
on the 2nd November 2001 aged 96 years after serving
for 72 years as a Nun.
She is interred at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines
in a location marked by a headstone and reserved for
Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur within which there is
a small grave marker for each of the sisters.
Our thanks to Nan Keim of Alexandria Virginia,
Sister McCart's neice, for these details and photographs
and also to her great nephew Tom Keim of San Francisco
who visited St Patrick's Kilsyth and had Mass said for
her in her home Parish in August 2011.